Wow, this has been a long time coming.
We rescued this desk on the way home from church on October 4, 2009. It wasn't sanded down until the 18th or painted until the 20th. The drawer fronts weren't put on until...well, technically, they're just Photoshopped on right now, but the designs did get printed today! Details of all to come in another post! ETA: here's part 2!
Here's a little detail:
Technically, this is what it looks like right now (which is still better than we found it). The most tremendous part of this "rescue" cannot be captured in a picture: the smell. When we found it, the desk REEKED of cigarette smoke. While we still have some additional tweaks to make, it's definitely finished enough to be called an "after"...and hey, we live with it every day like this!
ETA: I entered this in the CSI project: red, white, and blue challenge. I love that it's an alternative to what you'd expect from a "red, white, and blue" theme — although some of the papers do look like fireworks!